Learning to drive in Melbourne Victoria is as simple as contacting a local driving school. Whether new and just learning to drive, need a refresher course or coming in from overseas, finding an experienced professional driving school allows individuals to learn in a safe professional environment. Instructors are knowledgeable of the areas and know the best driving routes and knowing the rules and changes in laws will ensure the best driving experience.
Individuals coming from other countries are exempt from testing. However, they should contact the local government officials, VicRoads, and sign up for a driving lessons refresher course to become ready for driving in Melbourne. Countries exempt from testing is: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey, Holland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, and the USA.
Experienced drivers from other countries have a working knowledge of their own countries rules and regulations. This puts them one step ahead of the learning driver, yet behind because they are not aware of local rules and regulations. Driving in Melbourne is different than driving in the USA. In America they drive on the right and side of the road while the steering wheel is on the left side of the vehicle. Driving in Melbourne for the first time could be a little tricky because everything is reversed.
If moving to Melbourne new permanent residents must apply for a license within three months of the time a permanent visa was issued. Changing over requires testing for road law knowledge, hazard perception, eyesight and a driving assessment.
Melbourne officials take their road safety seriously and strictly enforce their laws. When learning to drive here keep the speed limits in mind. Residential street speed limits range from 40 to 70 kilometers per hour (km/h). To keep children safe, during the week, Monday through Friday, the limits in school areas is 40km/h. Posted speeds for highways and country roads vary up to 110km/h while most major roads have the range of 60 to 80km/h.
For safety, all drivers and passengers are required to wear seatbelts while in the car. Child restraints and car seats must meet specific requirements, making special note that most overseas carriers brought into the Victoria do not meet these requirements and are not approved for standard use. All individuals, drivers and passengers on motorcycles and cyclist are required to wear helmet while on the road. The use of alcohol and drugs are strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated. Random breath testing is extremely common on Victorian roads. By law, drivers must not drive if their alcohol blood level exceeds 0.05 percent. Any driver holding a probationary license cannot have any type of reading above 0.0.
With over 2.2 million people in the metropolitan areas, driving can become a challenge especially for new and inexperienced drivers. In 2011 reports indicate that young inexperienced drivers made up more than 18% of fatal crashes, seniors were at 19% while motorcyclist represented nearly 17%. The most common contributing factor was alcohol related reaching 33%, with use of cell phones, illegal maneuvers, fatigue and speeding making up the remaining 67%.
When driving, for work or for pleasure, always know your surroundings and pay attention to where you are going. Put away the cell phones and use hands-free devices because it’s the law. Knowing and following the rules while driving can save lives, yours and others.
Mark Long being an author and an avid traveler, he enjoys traveling through different countries. Learning to drive in different locations and attending local driving schools is a fun challenge. Taking driving lessons in Brisbane to learn local laws was a positive experience.